The Bank Managers' Challenge & Convention is a highly innovative format designed to help risk management professionals in commercial banks rehearse in detail the different possible scenarios they will be confronted with and prepare for better decision making skills.
The first two Bank Managers' Challenge & Convention, held as part of the 14th and 15th Asian Banker Summit, had received over whelming endorsement for its unique interactivity and instructive qualities. For 2014-15, we strengthen an already robust program by incorporating a stress testing element - the first such exercise of its kind involving multiple teams from many different countries across the region.
The financial institutions that are already using this highly original programme as a way to strengthen the risk management decision making and team-building abilities includes ANZ, CIMB, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, DBS, Kasikornbank, Bank Central Asia, Maybank, Qatar National Bank, OCBC, RBS and UOB.
How The Bank Managers' Challenge & Convention Works
The Bank Managers' Challenge & Convention format is the world’s first convention of its kind - seamlessly integrating keynote speeches, presentations and on-stage dialogues by industry leaders practitioners with a series of riveting simulations.
Each delegate is required to bring his or her own laptop. All delegates will be grouped into teams of four, where possible. The teams will be briefed on each simulation exercise and given the parameters of the bank whose balance sheet or operations they will be required to manage. For the 2014-15 session, we will be testing a whole new set of scenarios:
Simulation 1: The Evolving Regulatory Environment and the Banking Model
Simulation 2: Credit Risk and Stress Testing
Simulation 3: Risk appetite and Capital Planning
Teams will be required to enter their responses into a simulation programme, which will then be assessed by the advisors.
After the results are computed, the delegates will discuss the implementation issues they faced and the relationship with real life decisions they have to make.
The advisors will then give their overall assessment, following which there will be a general discussion on the issues.
Objectives of The Bank Managers' Challenge & Convention
The Bank Managers' Challenge & Convention is a programme designed to help your bank achieve the following:
- To test different economic scenarios for the next 12 months with peers from different countries.
- To learn from global best practice leaders
- As a team building exercise for your bank’s own risk management team
- To be mentored by a faculty of the most experienced risk experts with global and Asian experience in an experiential based learning environment
More specifically, the programme is especially designed to sharpen the following skills:
- Understanding the limits of stress testing into the business mode
- Understanding capital allocation from a risk and a regulatory and management perspective
- Identifying and managing inherent risk in core banking businesses
- Improving your ability to communicate and work with regulators